Effective law needed against sexual harassment: Girija Vyas
Jaipur: Expressing concern over continued
sexual harassment of working women, the National Commission
for Women (NCW) Saturday said the situation can be controlled
only through stricter laws.
"Working women`s sexual harassment is unabated despite
several steps, and the commission is of the view that it can
be controlled through effective law, and our effort in this
direction is to get a relevant bill passed in the current
session of Parliament," NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas told
reporters here today.
"The commission is also taking steps against obscene
and indecent depiction of women in the print and electronic
media but it should also act on its own to curb the practice,"
Though terming child marriage as a serious issue in
the country, she said the number of such marriages has gone
down in the state which is a positive sign.
She said that on a proposal of the Commission, the
government has approved a scheme under which a rape victim
will be provided a financial help of Rs 20,000 as interim
relief after primary investigation of the case within a period
of 15 days to 3 weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan