Effective law needed against sexual harassment: Girija Vyas
Jaipur: Expressing concern over continued
sexual harassment of working women, the National Commission
for Women (NCW) Saturday said the situation can be controlled
only through stricter laws.
"Working women`s sexual harassment is unabated despite
several steps, and the commission is of the view that it can
be controlled through effective law, and our effort in this
direction is to get a relevant bill passed in the current
session of Parliament," NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas told
reporters here today.
"The commission is also taking steps against obscene
and indecent depiction of women in the print and electronic
media but it should also act on its own to curb the practice,"
Though terming child marriage as a serious issue in
the country, she said the number of such marriages has gone
down in the state which is a positive sign.
She said that on a proposal of the Commission, the
government has approved a scheme under which a rape victim
will be provided a financial help of Rs 20,000 as interim
relief after primary investigation of the case within a period
of 15 days to 3 weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion