Effective law needed against sexual harassment: Girija Vyas
Jaipur: Expressing concern over continued
sexual harassment of working women, the National Commission
for Women (NCW) Saturday said the situation can be controlled
only through stricter laws.
"Working women`s sexual harassment is unabated despite
several steps, and the commission is of the view that it can
be controlled through effective law, and our effort in this
direction is to get a relevant bill passed in the current
session of Parliament," NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas told
reporters here today.
"The commission is also taking steps against obscene
and indecent depiction of women in the print and electronic
media but it should also act on its own to curb the practice,"
Though terming child marriage as a serious issue in
the country, she said the number of such marriages has gone
down in the state which is a positive sign.
She said that on a proposal of the Commission, the
government has approved a scheme under which a rape victim
will be provided a financial help of Rs 20,000 as interim
relief after primary investigation of the case within a period
of 15 days to 3 weeks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India