Efforts needed to make EVMs fool-proof: Regional parties
New Delhi: Representatives of regional
political parties on Thursday met an expert panel of the Election
Commission here and reposed their faith in Electronic Voting
Machines but said more efforts should be made to make the
Representatives of 16 regional political parties met
the Technical Expert Committee of the Election Commission here
to discuss ways to improve the EVM system.
While some political parties had sent experts
appointed by them to put across their case, some others had
sent their suggestions in writing.
Union Minister Dinesh Trivedi represented Trinamool
Congress, P Velu PMK, Yerran Naidu TDP and T K S Elangovan
represented the DMK.
S T Prasad, an expert appointed by the TDP made a
presentation before the EC experts on Voter Verifiable Paper
Audit Trail system developed by his company.
Explaining the system, Prasad said the VVPAT will help
a voter confirm his or her vote by generating a small slip
with the election symbol printed on it once the EVM button to
cast the vote is pressed.
The slip cannot be taken by the voter. It will drop in
a ballot box after giving sufficient time to the voter to have
a look at it through a window, he said.
Talking to reporters after the meeting, Velu said
efforts were required to make EVMs tamper proof.
Elangovan said people who claim that EVMs can be
tampered with should prove it before the Technical Expert
Committee. "Otherwise, it looks like propaganda," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway