Efforts on to free Indians held hostage by Somali pirates
Thiruvananthapuram: Efforts are on to get the release of seven Indian crew members, including three from Kerala, of an Indian freighter held hostage by Somali pirates, who hijacked the Vessel in 2010.
Taronish M Khajotia, CEO of ONCI Shipmanagement Private Ltd, the representatives of the ship MT Asphalt Venture on Wednesday met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy here and held a discussion with State Minister for Non-Resident Keralities Affairs KC Joseph to find a way for the release of the hostages.
The state government had already taken up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and was also pursuing the issue vigorously, Joseph told reporters here. Process of finding a solution to the `ticklish` issue was progressing, he said.
Khajotia said though both the Central and state governments had shown interest in getting the release of the hostages `As of now we do not know what is happening on the government side.
`But, there is lot of interest on the government side to see that nothing should happen to the hostages held by the pirates`, he said.
As representatives of the ship `We will continue to do everything possible for their release. We are optimistic that something will happen. But I do not know when it will happen`, he said.
The Asphalt Venture tanker was hijacked by the pirates on its way to South Africa from Kenya at the South East of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania on September 28, 2010.
Out of the 15 crew members, eight were released by the pirates in 2011 after accepting a ransom. However, seven were kept as hostages and according to reports they were kept in some jungles of Somalia.
According to sources, the pirates had made a fresh demand of a ransom of five million dollars for the release of the seven hostages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM