Efforts on to rid India of violence for 9% growth rate: PC
Coimbatore, Jan 27: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
today said serious efforts are on to make the country free of
terrorism and communal tension to achieve nine per cent growth
rate and increase foreign investments.
He said the last 14 months have not seen any terror attacks
or communal violence, resulting in economic growth and
benefits to all sections of society.
There had been some "lapses" in the UPA government`s
first tenure, but the "second innings" had seen major economic
growth. "This year growth is expected to be around 7.75 to 8
per cent," he said at a Congress party function at Kuniamuthur
on the city outskirts last night.
India`s proactive economic policies had seen it withstand
global recession and the nation has great opportunity to
become the fastest growing economic power. The world
appreciated the economic policies being followed in the
country, he said.
He said the UPA would guarantee education and food by the
end of its present tenure.
The government, after examining the Sachar Committee
report, wanted Muslims to have proportionate number of jobs,
including in the military and paramilitary, "since Islam and
Christianity are not alien religions, but Indian like
Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism," Chidambaram said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive