Efforts on to rid India of violence for 9% growth rate: PC
Coimbatore, Jan 27: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
today said serious efforts are on to make the country free of
terrorism and communal tension to achieve nine per cent growth
rate and increase foreign investments.
He said the last 14 months have not seen any terror attacks
or communal violence, resulting in economic growth and
benefits to all sections of society.
There had been some "lapses" in the UPA government`s
first tenure, but the "second innings" had seen major economic
growth. "This year growth is expected to be around 7.75 to 8
per cent," he said at a Congress party function at Kuniamuthur
on the city outskirts last night.
India`s proactive economic policies had seen it withstand
global recession and the nation has great opportunity to
become the fastest growing economic power. The world
appreciated the economic policies being followed in the
country, he said.
He said the UPA would guarantee education and food by the
end of its present tenure.
The government, after examining the Sachar Committee
report, wanted Muslims to have proportionate number of jobs,
including in the military and paramilitary, "since Islam and
Christianity are not alien religions, but Indian like
Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism," Chidambaram said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark