Efforts to find YSR`s successor gather momentum
Hyderabad: The central leadership of the Congress party has intensified efforts to find a successor to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, who died in a helicopter crash last week.
The late chief minister`s long time friend KVP Ramachandra Rao Tuesday met Congress general secretary in-charge of party affairs in the state M Veerappa Moily in New Delhi.
Rao, who is also a member of Rajya Sabha, and all members of parliament belonging to the party are scheduled to meet party president Sonia Gandhi individually later in the day, party sources said here.
KVP, as Rao is popularly known, conveyed to Moily the sentiments of party workers and leaders, who are demanding the leadership to name YSR`s son YS Jaganmohan Reddy as his successor.
He will also bring to the notice of Sonia Gandhi the growing demand by a majority of party leaders for making Jagan the next chief minister. After meeting KVP, the Congress party will call the MPs individually to know their choice.
Senior leaders including Keshava Rao and V Hanumantha Rao and MP U Arun Kumar met Sonia Gandhi Monday to discuss the political situation created by the sudden and tragic death of YSR.
The central leadership is holding consultations before sending a group of senior leaders here to elicit the opinion of a cross-section of the party leaders. A three-member group headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee is expected to arrive here Thursday.
The leadership has already advised all sections of party not to publicly air their views on the leadership issue and plans to find a successor after the seven-day mourning period gets over.
Meanwhile, YSR`s brother YS Vivekananda Reddy hoped that the leadership would pick Jagan as the successor of the late chief minister. "We hope that the high command will understand the sentiments of party leaders and legislators while taking a decision," he said.
"There is a feeling in the party that Jagan alone can do justice to the policies and programmes of the late leader by continuing them," said Vivekananda Reddy, who had left Kadapa Lok Sabha seat for Jagan in the recent elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA