EFR top cop blames WB govt for Maoist attack, is suspended
Kolkata: EFR Special Inspector General Benoy Chakraborty has been suspended following his scathing attack on the West Bengal government for "misusing" and "ill-treating" the Eastern Frontier Rifles, which lost 24 of its men in a Maoist attack in Silda, in the state’s West Midnapore district last week.
The suspension orders were issued by the Chief Minister’s office as the EFR is a paramilitary force of the West Bengal police.
Addressing a press conference Saturday evening with his face covered with a black cloth, Chakraborty came down heavily on state authorities, particularly West Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma, for not providing proper infrastructure and said the decision to locate the Silda camp in a crowded area was "unprofessional".
"From the location of the camp and the poor infrastructure and security provided, one can conclude the EFR is being misused and ill-treated," a fuming Chakraborty said.
"I have on several occasions said it was not the proper place for the camp and wanted it to be shifted. I told the SP also. But he did not shift the camp," he pointed out.
"Now a lot is being said against me and my people. We are being blamed. I respectfully choose to differ with the critics," he said.
Chief Minister Buddahdeb Bhattacharjee and Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen have blamed lack of alertness on the part of the EFR jawans in the camp for the incident.
Chakraborty pointed out that the camp was located near a market and beside a health centre. "There was only one toilet which outsiders also used. There was no proper boundary wall for protection. The spot was close to a crowded market".
He said the tents housing the jawans were situated so close to each other that the jawans did not even have the manoeuvring space if they wanted to shoot while going from one tent to the other.
"Despite such adverse conditions, they shot dead five Maoists. I am proud of them. What they have done is indeed great," he said.
Twenty four EFR personnel and a civilian were killed in the daring Maoist attack on the Silda camp in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM