Egypt turmoil: Evacuated Indians thank AI, govt
Mumbai: More than 300 Indians evacuated from Egypt, which is in the midst of a political upheaval, Monday reached Mumbai on a special Air India flight and thanked the government and the airline for coming to their rescue.
"The Boeing-747 brought back 320 passengers this afternoon," an airline spokesperson said.
"Our scheduled Mumbai-Jeddah flight will be further sent to Cairo this evening to pick up more Indians," he added.
The passengers were all praise for government, the airline and the Indian embassy in Egypt for being prompt in responding to the crisis situation.
Mumbai`s Ragini and Vineet Ahuja, who went to Egypt for their honeymoon, were relieved to be back. "We thank Air India and the Indian government for making efforts to bring us back to India as soon as possible," they said.
Passengers, however, said that it was not an easy wait. "People waited at the Cairo airport for as long as 30 hours to get a flight out. There is a complete chaos there," said Devina Chakravarty from Tata Steel, who had gone there for a three-day conference as part of a 300-strong delegation.
"As many as 200 of us managed to board this flight. Nearly 100 people from my company are still waiting to be flown out of Cairo," she added.
Flight schedules in and out of Egypt have been disrupted in the past few days after anti-government protests broke out there seeking the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak, who has been in power for more than three decades.
Nearly 150 people have been killed and hundreds injured in the clashes. Around 1,000 people have been arrested across the country since the protests broke out five days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor