Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi to visit India in March
New Delhi: Egyptian Prsident Mohamed Morsi, the country`s first democratically elected president, is to visit India in the third week of March.
This was revealed by Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, Secretary (Economic Relations) of the external affairs ministry, at a conference here Friday.
"India has actively engaged with the new governments in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia. President Morsi of Egypt will be visiting India in March," Chakravarty said while addressing a conference on `The Maghreb and India" organised by the Society for Policy Studies (SPS), a think tank, and the India International Centre here.
Morsi, who is backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, will be visiting in the third week of March. However, details of the visit have not yet been worked out or the number of days he would be staying, an external affairs ministry official told IANS.
The visit by Morsi comes at a time Egypt has again been rocked by clashes and massive street protests by people demanding his removal for some of his allegedly authoritarian moves. Dozens of people have been killed, leading Morsi to impose state of emergency in three provinces.
The opposition accuses Morsi of betraying the revolution that toppled Hosni Mubarak two years ago and for distorting the constitution, but Morsi has reassured the opposition that there was no going back on "freedom and democracy".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here