EIA need to be done before giving licences to offshore casinos
Panaji: Amid controversy over notices served
on off shore casinos for improper disposal of sewerage, Union
Minister of state for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan
on Tuesday said that the state should conduct Environment Impact
Assessment (EIA) before granting licences to these casinos.
"EIA should have been done before granting licences to
off shore casinos as they are anchored in the water," Chavan
The minister was here on a visit to National Centre for
Antarctic and Ocean Research and National Institute of
Speaking to reporters, he, however, feigned ignorance on
whether such clearance was mandatory or not for the ships
mounted with casinos and anchored in Goa waters.
"The ships should not create pollution and I feel that
they have enough mechanism in place to control it,`` Chavan
Goa has six off shore casino vessels which ran into
controversy after the State Pollution Control Board served
notices on them over improper disposal of sewerage water.
The casinos were allegedly letting the sewerage flow
into the Mandovi river water though the companies operating
the vessels had denied the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'