Eid-ul-Azha being celebrated across India
New Delhi: The festival of ``Offering`` or ``Qurbani``, Eid-al-Azha, is being celebrated across India on Saturday with religious fervour and gaiety.
Muslims observe the festival on the tenth day of the last month of Islamic calendar ‘Zul-hijja’.
According to Islamic tradition, the Prophet Abraham was blessed with his son Ishmael at a very advanced age and nurtured a deep love for the boy.
Eid al-Adha is celebrated by Muslims around the world to commemorate the Prophet Abraham`s willingness to sacrifice his son Ismail, obeying God who, in the end, allowed him to sacrifice a sheep instead.
The President, the Vice President and the Prime Minister have greeted the people on the occasion.
Prayers are being offered in mosques across the country.
In Andhra Pradesh, elaborate arrangements have been made in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad for Eid prayers.
Special arrangements have been made at Secunderabad Parade Grounds and Mir Alam Idgah where Eid prayers are offered as part of the celebrations.
In Lucknow, Muslims, along with their children are heading towards Eidgah of AishBagh, Teelewali Masjid, Juma Mosque and other mosques to offer Eid prayers.
Muslims in Kerala had offered prayers on Friday on the occasion of Eid al-Azha.
Meanwhile, Eid-al-Azha is being celebrated across India on Saturday.
The commemoration is one of the most important holidays in the Muslim calendar as it symbolises obedience and loyalty to God.
The festival also marks the culmination of the Hajj pilgrimage, considered as one of the five pillars of Islam.
The tradition of the Eid-al-Adha festival also enjoins all those who can afford a sacrifice to do so, and to distribute the meat of the slaughtered animals to the needy, after keeping back what they need for themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow