Eid-ul-Azha being celebrated across India
New Delhi: The festival of ``Offering`` or ``Qurbani``, Eid-al-Azha, is being celebrated across India on Saturday with religious fervour and gaiety.
Muslims observe the festival on the tenth day of the last month of Islamic calendar ‘Zul-hijja’.
According to Islamic tradition, the Prophet Abraham was blessed with his son Ishmael at a very advanced age and nurtured a deep love for the boy.
Eid al-Adha is celebrated by Muslims around the world to commemorate the Prophet Abraham`s willingness to sacrifice his son Ismail, obeying God who, in the end, allowed him to sacrifice a sheep instead.
The President, the Vice President and the Prime Minister have greeted the people on the occasion.
Prayers are being offered in mosques across the country.
In Andhra Pradesh, elaborate arrangements have been made in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad for Eid prayers.
Special arrangements have been made at Secunderabad Parade Grounds and Mir Alam Idgah where Eid prayers are offered as part of the celebrations.
In Lucknow, Muslims, along with their children are heading towards Eidgah of AishBagh, Teelewali Masjid, Juma Mosque and other mosques to offer Eid prayers.
Muslims in Kerala had offered prayers on Friday on the occasion of Eid al-Azha.
Meanwhile, Eid-al-Azha is being celebrated across India on Saturday.
The commemoration is one of the most important holidays in the Muslim calendar as it symbolises obedience and loyalty to God.
The festival also marks the culmination of the Hajj pilgrimage, considered as one of the five pillars of Islam.
The tradition of the Eid-al-Adha festival also enjoins all those who can afford a sacrifice to do so, and to distribute the meat of the slaughtered animals to the needy, after keeping back what they need for themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’