Eid-ul-Azha celebrations set for October 16
New Delhi: Eid-ul-Azha, or the festival of sacrifice, will be celebrated in the country on October 16.
This was announced here today by Maulana Mufti Mohammed Mukkaram, Shahi Imam of Fatehpuri Masjid, following a meeting of the Ruyat-e-Hilal Committee after the new moon was sighted.
"Moon for the `Zilhaj` month, which is the last month of the Islamic calendar, has been sighted today. Eid-ul-Azha is celebrated on the 10th day of this month, which falls on October 16," the Shahi Imam told.
Eid-ul-Azha is celebrated by Muslims across the world to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail as an act of obedience to Allah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1