Eight Chinese spies arrested in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: In a major crackdown, police arrested eight Chinese nationals on charges of overstaying after raiding a fortified monastery in Mandi district and claimed to have recovered Rs 30 lakh, USD 3000 and SIM cards.
Some Chinese escaped before the raids, which were carried out last night in Chauntra village in Mandi, 150 kms from here, following inputs by central intelligence agencies.
Besides currency, police also recovered mobile phones suspected to have Chinese SIM cards and international ATM cards.
The raids came within days of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama saying he had been passed reports from inside Tibet warning that Chinese agents had trained Tibetan women for a mission to poison him while posing as devotees seeking his blessings.
Additional Director General of Police S.R Mardi said it was too early to conclude that those arrested were Chinese spies.
DGP D S Manhas said police had received information that illegal activities may be going on in this resettlement area.
"Based upon these intelligence inputs, the searches were carried out yesterday and we were able to apprehend eight Chinese who were staying there illegally and had not reported to the police," he told reporters today.
Manhas said the Chinese, holding expired tourist visas, were found working and further investigations were underway. Some of them were engaged as masons, carpenters and electricians.
"We have registered two cases and huge cash of Rs 30 lakh and USD 3000 has also been recovered," he said.
When contacted in Delhi, a Chinese Embassy spokesperson said, "We have noticed the reports and we are seeking details from the Ministry of External Affairs".
Manhas said Income Tax authorities have been informed about the seizures.
"Definitely for the last six-eight months we have been getting some intelligence inputs and there were two cases reported where Chinese were found overstaying without any basic documentation and without any intimation," he said.
"So, we are taking all intelligence inputs seriously so that the security of the Dalai Lama is not compromised in any way," he said.
In Shimla, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said before the raids some Chinese had escaped from the spot.
"It is a matter of serious security concern," Dhumal said, seeking a joint probe by central and state investigating agencies.
He also sought Centre`s assistance to beef up the security of Dalai Lama and Karmapa Lama, another top Tibetan Buddhist leader.
The arrested Chinese nationals have been living in the house, protected by a 15-foot high wall, for quite some time, police said.
The police was investigating as to how these Chinese nationals managed to come together in a remote village like Chauntra.
SP, Mandi, A Dhullar said the Chinese were working as carpenters and painters in the under-construction house.
"They had taken employment when they had only tourist visa," he said.
While the External Affairs Ministry said it was ascertaining details in the case, the Home Ministry said that the arrested Chinese were working for a contractor from Sikkim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'