Eight IRB personnel arrested for smuggling drugs
Imphal: Eight India Reserve Battalion (IRB) personnel including a Subedar were arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle out drugs like ephedrine to Myanmar, official sources said on Tuesday.
A designated court set up under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substance Act here yesterday sent them to jail custody.
Officials said they were arrested by 42nd Assam Rifles battalion personnel on April 2 in the border district of Chandel while they were carrying the drugs to the border town of Moreh, about 120 km south-east of here, to sell the drugs at Myanmar where it is in great demand.
The IRB personnel were in uniform and with service rifles when they were arrested by Assam Rifles personnel from Saibom Lamkhai, along Imphal-Moreh NH-39, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees