Eight IRB personnel arrested for smuggling drugs
Imphal: Eight India Reserve Battalion (IRB) personnel including a Subedar were arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle out drugs like ephedrine to Myanmar, official sources said on Tuesday.
A designated court set up under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substance Act here yesterday sent them to jail custody.
Officials said they were arrested by 42nd Assam Rifles battalion personnel on April 2 in the border district of Chandel while they were carrying the drugs to the border town of Moreh, about 120 km south-east of here, to sell the drugs at Myanmar where it is in great demand.
The IRB personnel were in uniform and with service rifles when they were arrested by Assam Rifles personnel from Saibom Lamkhai, along Imphal-Moreh NH-39, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble