Eight IRB personnel arrested for smuggling drugs
Imphal: Eight India Reserve Battalion (IRB) personnel including a Subedar were arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle out drugs like ephedrine to Myanmar, official sources said on Tuesday.
A designated court set up under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substance Act here yesterday sent them to jail custody.
Officials said they were arrested by 42nd Assam Rifles battalion personnel on April 2 in the border district of Chandel while they were carrying the drugs to the border town of Moreh, about 120 km south-east of here, to sell the drugs at Myanmar where it is in great demand.
The IRB personnel were in uniform and with service rifles when they were arrested by Assam Rifles personnel from Saibom Lamkhai, along Imphal-Moreh NH-39, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site