Eight-year-olds take centrestage at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Eight-year-old Ikrah and Simran took centrestage at the Ramlila Maidan on Sunday when they gave a glass of tender coconut water to Anna Hazare for ending his
fast on the Lokpal issue after 12 days.
Ikrah, a fourth standard student in a local school in Daryaganj, had people including media personnel jostling to ask her what Hazare told her while she was seated with him for
nearly an hour.
Shy as she was facing TV cameras for the first time, Ikrah
tried to repeatedly hide behind her uncle and father who
accompanied her to the dais.
It was her uncle who held her and made her speak to people
who posed a volley of questions to the child.
"Annnaji told me to study well," she mumbled to her uncle
Ahmed who repeated it before the cameras.
The kid`s father Shakimullah and the uncle have been
with Hazare since he began his first fast in April demanding a
Shakimullah told a news agency that he was told only in the morning
by Team Anna that his daughter would be among the two kids who
would give Anna coconut water to end his hunger strike.
"We did not know till this morning that my daughter would
make Anna break the fast. We are so proud that we have been
given this opportunity," he said.
Simran was too shy to face the cameras and left the maidan
without talking to people.
Ikrah said Anna asked her to "study well and make it big
"Anna smiled at me and I reciprocated. I was so happy and
Anna told me `Thank You`," she said.
Though Ikrah`s mother did not accompany her, she watched
the event on television, her father said.
"My mom wants me to be a police officer. I am so happy
today," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing