Eight-year-olds take centrestage at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Eight-year-old Ikrah and Simran took centrestage at the Ramlila Maidan on Sunday when they gave a glass of tender coconut water to Anna Hazare for ending his
fast on the Lokpal issue after 12 days.
Ikrah, a fourth standard student in a local school in Daryaganj, had people including media personnel jostling to ask her what Hazare told her while she was seated with him for
nearly an hour.
Shy as she was facing TV cameras for the first time, Ikrah
tried to repeatedly hide behind her uncle and father who
accompanied her to the dais.
It was her uncle who held her and made her speak to people
who posed a volley of questions to the child.
"Annnaji told me to study well," she mumbled to her uncle
Ahmed who repeated it before the cameras.
The kid`s father Shakimullah and the uncle have been
with Hazare since he began his first fast in April demanding a
Shakimullah told a news agency that he was told only in the morning
by Team Anna that his daughter would be among the two kids who
would give Anna coconut water to end his hunger strike.
"We did not know till this morning that my daughter would
make Anna break the fast. We are so proud that we have been
given this opportunity," he said.
Simran was too shy to face the cameras and left the maidan
without talking to people.
Ikrah said Anna asked her to "study well and make it big
"Anna smiled at me and I reciprocated. I was so happy and
Anna told me `Thank You`," she said.
Though Ikrah`s mother did not accompany her, she watched
the event on television, her father said.
"My mom wants me to be a police officer. I am so happy
today," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal