Eight-year-olds take centrestage at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Eight-year-old Ikrah and Simran took centrestage at the Ramlila Maidan on Sunday when they gave a glass of tender coconut water to Anna Hazare for ending his
fast on the Lokpal issue after 12 days.
Ikrah, a fourth standard student in a local school in Daryaganj, had people including media personnel jostling to ask her what Hazare told her while she was seated with him for
nearly an hour.
Shy as she was facing TV cameras for the first time, Ikrah
tried to repeatedly hide behind her uncle and father who
accompanied her to the dais.
It was her uncle who held her and made her speak to people
who posed a volley of questions to the child.
"Annnaji told me to study well," she mumbled to her uncle
Ahmed who repeated it before the cameras.
The kid`s father Shakimullah and the uncle have been
with Hazare since he began his first fast in April demanding a
Shakimullah told a news agency that he was told only in the morning
by Team Anna that his daughter would be among the two kids who
would give Anna coconut water to end his hunger strike.
"We did not know till this morning that my daughter would
make Anna break the fast. We are so proud that we have been
given this opportunity," he said.
Simran was too shy to face the cameras and left the maidan
without talking to people.
Ikrah said Anna asked her to "study well and make it big
"Anna smiled at me and I reciprocated. I was so happy and
Anna told me `Thank You`," she said.
Though Ikrah`s mother did not accompany her, she watched
the event on television, her father said.
"My mom wants me to be a police officer. I am so happy
today," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Jallikattu will be conducted next year in Tamil Nadu if DMK comes to power: Karunanidhi
- Interrogate 'driving force' in AgustaWestland scam: 10 things Subramanian Swamy said in Rajya Sabha
- Facebook's Instagram has a flaw: Anyone can delete your comments!
- Some activities of ISIS but no alarming situation: Govt
- Shocking: Malaika Arora no more a 'Khan' after separation from husband Arbaaz?