`El Nino effect on monsoon to be known by June’
Pune: The effect of `El Nino` phenomenon that could negatively impact the monsoon rainfall, would be known only by the third week of June, according to Ashwani Kumar, Union Minister of State for Science and Technology and Earth Science.
While stating that the South-West monsoon rainfall for the country as a whole is "most likely to be normal (96-104 per cent)", Kumar today said "the `El Nino` effect (which can result in a deficient rainfall), will be known by the third week of June."
Quantitatively, the monsoon rainfall is likely to be 99 per cent of long period average with a model error of 5%, he added.
A statement circulated at Kumar`s press conference here said, "The monsoon has set over Kerala and parts of coastal Karnataka and Tamil Nadu on June 5. The conditions are favourable for its further advance in the remaining parts of coastal Karnataka, Goa, South Konkan, South Maharashtra, interior Karnataka and some parts of Tamil Nadu and parts of North Eastern states."
"Recently, global models have given predictions based on May conditions. Some of the models have given predictions below average, while others have also predicted as normal and even above normal. It has been observed that skills of these models is yet to be proven as there is no consistency," he added.
"We are analysing conditions up to May for giving statistical forecast in third week of June, along with dynamical forecast," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP