Elaborate arrangements to be made for Prez poll
New Delhi: Elaborate arrangements will be put in place in Parliament and state assemblies for voting on Thursday for the Presidential election which will see a direct contest between UPA`s Pranab Mukherjee and opposition-backed PA Sangma.
In Delhi, polling booths will be set up in Parliament House where electors -- MPs and MLAs -- can cast their ballots between 10 am And 5 pm, officials said.
There will be six Polling Officers` Tables and members of the electoral college will be distributed in serial order among them.
Six voting compartments -- each covered to enable the electors maintain secrecy while marking their ballot papers -- will be set up.
Similar arrangements will be in place in assemblies.
As many as 78 MPs have written to the Election Commission seeking permission to vote in their home states, while seven MLAs from various states expressed their desire to cast their ballot in Delhi.
The Commission has acceded to their request and issued instructions to the Assistant Returning Officer concerned in the state to facilitate their exercise of franchise.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China
- Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under migrant deal
- Ravi Rampaul reveals shocking reason for not being picked in West Indian team