Elaborate arrangements to be made for Prez poll
New Delhi: Elaborate arrangements will be put in place in Parliament and state assemblies for voting on Thursday for the Presidential election which will see a direct contest between UPA`s Pranab Mukherjee and opposition-backed PA Sangma.
In Delhi, polling booths will be set up in Parliament House where electors -- MPs and MLAs -- can cast their ballots between 10 am And 5 pm, officials said.
There will be six Polling Officers` Tables and members of the electoral college will be distributed in serial order among them.
Six voting compartments -- each covered to enable the electors maintain secrecy while marking their ballot papers -- will be set up.
Similar arrangements will be in place in assemblies.
As many as 78 MPs have written to the Election Commission seeking permission to vote in their home states, while seven MLAs from various states expressed their desire to cast their ballot in Delhi.
The Commission has acceded to their request and issued instructions to the Assistant Returning Officer concerned in the state to facilitate their exercise of franchise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India