Elders object to Aiyar`s remark, seek apology
New Delhi: Members in Rajya Sabha belonging to various parties on Friday raised strong objections to reported comments of Mani Shankar Aiyar comparing MPs shouting slogans in the Well with animals and demanded an apology.
An apparently embarrassed Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla tendered an immediate apology on behalf of Aiyar and informed the House that he will talk to him in this regard.
As members pressed for summoning the Congress member and referring the matter to the Ethics Committee of Parliament, Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien hoped he will come and explain his position in the House.
He said, "If that does not happen, then there is a course of action...The Chair will examine the matter."
Earlier raising the matter soon after Question Hour, members of BJP, SP, BSP and Left parties were on their feet condemning Aiyar`s remarks and demanding action against him.
Aiyar, during a television debate on logjam in Parliament on FDI, had reportedly made the remarks.
As members attacked the ruling party over Aiyar`s remarks, Shukla sought to pacify them saying, "It is not a good thing. If he has said so then in my opinion it is totally inappropriate. I will talk to him and if he apologises, it will be good."
This was objected to by Naresh Agrawal (SP), who demanded an apology from Aiyar minus any ifs and buts..."If he does not apologise then action should be taken against him," he said.
Shukla said, "First of all, I apologise if he has made any such remarks...I will tell him to come and apologise to members if he has said so."
Kurien also said that since Aiyar is not present in the House, he should be given an opportunity to come and explain what he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...