Elected representatives not covered under RTI Act: CIC
New Delhi: Elected representatives including
MPs, MLAs and local bodies members are not covered under the
Right to Information Act in `individual` capacity, Central
Information Commission has ruled.
The Commission, however, has clarified that information
regarding their activities can be accessed from bodies to
which they are part of like Parliament, state legislative
assembly or local bodies.
A division bench of the Commission comprising Chief
Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah and Shailesh
Gandhi said, "we must conclude that individuals whether MPs,
MLAs, Councillors or members of Panchayats cannot in
themselves be deemed public authorities. Nevertheless, the
organisations and Committees in which they fulfil their
obligations under the Constitution are indeed organisations
defined as public authorities," the bench held while hearing
several pleas that were clubbed together in the matter.
The applicants had asked for information regarding work
done by different elected representatives including Rahul
Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi but did not any details from them.
"Such information on activities as are performed by
these named representatives as members of such organisations
is, therefore, to be deemed accessible to the citizenry...It
will, therefore, be necessary for such organisations to
develop systems for making such information accessible," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum