Election Commission asks political parties not to campaign on Holi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Election Commission has issued an advisory for all political parties asking them to refrain from campaigning on Holi, the festival of colours, in the backdrop of the upcoming polls.
“There is a restriction on political parties on using festivals and religious occasions for their political support and means of campaigning. Do not campaign on Holi,” said Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Sunday.
He added, “If any political party organize community feasts or distribute anything to people free, it will be treated as a violation of the model code of conduct.”
The EC’s announcement came to keep an eye on all political parties with the Lok Sabha polls knocking at the door, candidates cutting across the party lines may use Holi as a tool to reach out to the people of their respective constituencies.
With the announcement of the Lok Sabha and Assembly poll schedule model code of conduct has come into force so EC will keep a strict watch on every move of the political parties.
Official sources said political parties and candidates were likely to misuse the festival by throwing grand parties, organising community fests and distributing liquor on or before Holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!