Election Commission notice to Rahul Gandhi over `ISI-Muzaffarnagar riot` remarks
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Election Commission on Thursday served a notice to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi for his alleged speeches in which he had said that Pakistan`s ISI was trying to exploit Muzaffarnagar riot victims and accused BJP of playing politics of hatred.
According to reports, the poll panel issued the notice to the Congress leader after examining his speeches made in Churu, Rajasthan on October 23 and in Indore, Madhya Pradesh on October 24.
The Commission also took into account a complaint filed by the main opposition party, BJP, in this regard and the electoral officer`s report in connection with Rahul’s speech.
"The Commission is prima facie of the view that your aforesaid speeches are violative of above-referred sub paras (1), (2) and (3) of Para 1 of the model code of conduct for political parties and candidates,” the EC said in its order.
The poll panel also directed him to explain by Monday why action should not be initiated against him for prima facie violating the model code of conduct.
The development comes a week after a delegation of BJP leaders met the EC officials and handed over a complaint letter against Rahul Gandhi for his alleged defamatory speech during his poll campaigns in Rajasthan.
The BJP had sought action against the Gandhi scion after he addressed rallies in Churu and Kherli in Rajasthan for "inciting riotous behaviour."
During a rally in Indore, Rahul had claimed that some Muslim youths from riots-hit Muzaffarnagar area were contacted by the Pakistan`s intelligence agency, ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway