Elections 2014: BJP denies Jaswant Singh ticket from Barmer, may contest as Independent
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Jaipur: In a major development, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday denied former union minister Jaswant Singh Lok Sabha ticket from Barmer in Rajasthan.
The party has decided to instead field Col Sonaram, an ex-Congress legislator from the region.
Jaswant Singh, a sitting Lok Sabha MP from Darjeeling in West Bengal, this time wanted to contest the elections from Barmer in Rajasthan.
“I have done a lot for Darjeeling. I have done all that I could for Darjeeling. I wanted to contest my last election from my native place,” Singh said.
Singh had earlier said that if denied BJP ticket from Barmer, he will contest as an independent. He is now likely to file his nomination on March 24.
Barmer is Singh`s native place as his village Jasol falls in the district. His son Manvendra Singh has also fought elections twice from there.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje had been in favour of making Col Sonaram contest from Barmer ever since he joined the BJP. Raje believes the Jat leader has a better chance at winning as the constituency has a large Jat population.
The development came a day after the BJP, with help from the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, managed to cajole veteran LK Advani into contesting from the Gandhinagar Lok Sabha constituency. Advani had expressed his desire to contest from Bhopal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: 84* off 18 balls - You wont believe who is batting....
- Brace yourself, Eid is coming! New still from Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will gear you up for trailer launch
- 'India's net FDI flows to hit USD 38 billion this fiscal'
- Did you know Avika Gor also took Cannes Film Festival by storm this year! - Pics inside
- Vijay Mallya's India woes now troubling his US beer firm