Elevation of Rahul ‘historic’, ‘game-changer’: Cong young leaders
New Delhi: The young leadership of Congress tonight hailed the elevation of Rahul Gandhi as the party`s vice-president as a "historic decision" that will turn out to be a "big game-changer" in the next general elections.
Corporate Affiars Minister Sachin Pilot said the entire party has been energised due to the decision.
"It`s a historic decision and we welcome it. It has energised the party workers throughout the nation. We will go to the next Lok Sabha election with a renewed vigour now", he said adding Rahul "will be a unifying force" for Congress.
Union Minister RPN Singh said "it is going to be a big gamechanger for Congress party. He has given a new energy and hope to Congress party. He will bring new vigour to the party".
His colleague Jitin Prasad said "I am happy that he (Rahul) has accepted the responsibility and be the face of the party in 2014 polls...We want him to be the face of the party. He will drive the youth of the country."
Another young party MP Sandeep Dikshit said "I am happy and elated at the decision...He will work as a champion campaigner and strategist for the party`s campaign."
To a question on whether it will be a Modi versus Gandhi in 2014 polls, Prasad said "it is the positive agenda of Rahul Gandhi against the negative politics of Narendra Modi."
Asked whether Rahul will be the Prime Ministerial candidate, Pilot said "that decision will be taken when polls are due. Party will decide."
However, he said Congress will form the next government for the third time.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier offered him (Rahul) ministerial berths but he declined. Now, his name was proposed for Vice-President by AK Anthony and unanimously supported by other memberrs. It was a long-standing demand of Congress workers", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi