Elevation of Rahul ‘historic’, ‘game-changer’: Cong young leaders
New Delhi: The young leadership of Congress tonight hailed the elevation of Rahul Gandhi as the party`s vice-president as a "historic decision" that will turn out to be a "big game-changer" in the next general elections.
Corporate Affiars Minister Sachin Pilot said the entire party has been energised due to the decision.
"It`s a historic decision and we welcome it. It has energised the party workers throughout the nation. We will go to the next Lok Sabha election with a renewed vigour now", he said adding Rahul "will be a unifying force" for Congress.
Union Minister RPN Singh said "it is going to be a big gamechanger for Congress party. He has given a new energy and hope to Congress party. He will bring new vigour to the party".
His colleague Jitin Prasad said "I am happy that he (Rahul) has accepted the responsibility and be the face of the party in 2014 polls...We want him to be the face of the party. He will drive the youth of the country."
Another young party MP Sandeep Dikshit said "I am happy and elated at the decision...He will work as a champion campaigner and strategist for the party`s campaign."
To a question on whether it will be a Modi versus Gandhi in 2014 polls, Prasad said "it is the positive agenda of Rahul Gandhi against the negative politics of Narendra Modi."
Asked whether Rahul will be the Prime Ministerial candidate, Pilot said "that decision will be taken when polls are due. Party will decide."
However, he said Congress will form the next government for the third time.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier offered him (Rahul) ministerial berths but he declined. Now, his name was proposed for Vice-President by AK Anthony and unanimously supported by other memberrs. It was a long-standing demand of Congress workers", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured