Elevation of Rahul ‘historic’, ‘game-changer’: Cong young leaders
New Delhi: The young leadership of Congress tonight hailed the elevation of Rahul Gandhi as the party`s vice-president as a "historic decision" that will turn out to be a "big game-changer" in the next general elections.
Corporate Affiars Minister Sachin Pilot said the entire party has been energised due to the decision.
"It`s a historic decision and we welcome it. It has energised the party workers throughout the nation. We will go to the next Lok Sabha election with a renewed vigour now", he said adding Rahul "will be a unifying force" for Congress.
Union Minister RPN Singh said "it is going to be a big gamechanger for Congress party. He has given a new energy and hope to Congress party. He will bring new vigour to the party".
His colleague Jitin Prasad said "I am happy that he (Rahul) has accepted the responsibility and be the face of the party in 2014 polls...We want him to be the face of the party. He will drive the youth of the country."
Another young party MP Sandeep Dikshit said "I am happy and elated at the decision...He will work as a champion campaigner and strategist for the party`s campaign."
To a question on whether it will be a Modi versus Gandhi in 2014 polls, Prasad said "it is the positive agenda of Rahul Gandhi against the negative politics of Narendra Modi."
Asked whether Rahul will be the Prime Ministerial candidate, Pilot said "that decision will be taken when polls are due. Party will decide."
However, he said Congress will form the next government for the third time.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier offered him (Rahul) ministerial berths but he declined. Now, his name was proposed for Vice-President by AK Anthony and unanimously supported by other memberrs. It was a long-standing demand of Congress workers", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm