Emergence of third front not an easy task: Karat
Agartala: Ruling out the possibility of a third front emerging, CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat said it was not an easy task as regional parties were "opportunists" and would either side with Congress or BJP.
"It is not an easy task because the regional parties like AIADMK, SP, BJD, JDU are also opportunists and will either side with Congress or BJP," Karat said while addressing an state committee meeting of the party here last evening.
Karat said that the BJP wanted to return to power by using people`s grievances, but the character of Congress and BJP were the same as both were advocates of neo liberal policies.
Alleging that the UPA government was corrupt, he said that the prices of essential commodities have sky rocketed, unemployment has became a serious problem and the economic crisis has deepened due to a liberal economy.
"So, it seems that Congress will be defeated in the next general elections due in 2014, but BJP will also not be benefited much," he said.
"So, the Left parties will have to consolidate and expand its political base for providing any alternative to the Congress and BJP in future," he said.
Karat said, after the debacle in elections in Kerala and West Bengal, the massive mandate of the people in Tripura in February this year has again proved that the Left Front has relevance in national politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Boxing as good as dead in India, rues Mary Kom
- David Cameron calls on LGBT community to live 'freely'
- Wimbledon: Andy Murray and admirer of `incredibly consistent` Novak Djokovic
- Defence Ministry nod to buy 145 ultra light howitzers from US
- Dominika Cibulkova beats Karolina Pliskova in Eastbourne final, claims first grass court title