Emergence of third front not an easy task: Karat
Agartala: Ruling out the possibility of a third front emerging, CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat said it was not an easy task as regional parties were "opportunists" and would either side with Congress or BJP.
"It is not an easy task because the regional parties like AIADMK, SP, BJD, JDU are also opportunists and will either side with Congress or BJP," Karat said while addressing an state committee meeting of the party here last evening.
Karat said that the BJP wanted to return to power by using people`s grievances, but the character of Congress and BJP were the same as both were advocates of neo liberal policies.
Alleging that the UPA government was corrupt, he said that the prices of essential commodities have sky rocketed, unemployment has became a serious problem and the economic crisis has deepened due to a liberal economy.
"So, it seems that Congress will be defeated in the next general elections due in 2014, but BJP will also not be benefited much," he said.
"So, the Left parties will have to consolidate and expand its political base for providing any alternative to the Congress and BJP in future," he said.
Karat said, after the debacle in elections in Kerala and West Bengal, the massive mandate of the people in Tripura in February this year has again proved that the Left Front has relevance in national politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow