Emergency meeting of DMK executive underway
Chennai: An emergency meeting of the executive of UPA`s key ally DMK is underway here monday to discuss ways to counter the AIADMK government`s move to slap cases against its leaders.
Ever since the Jayalalithaa government stormed to power in May 2011, several DMK leaders and former Ministers, besides sitting MLAs, have been facing the heat with land grab and disproportionate assets cases filed against them.
DMK has maintained that many cases were foisted ones. Cases were recently slapped against former Minsters K Ponmudy and K N Nehru. Karunanidhi`s grandson Dayanidhi Alagiri is also in the dock over alleged illegal granite mining scam in Madurai.
The party had earlier conducted a series of protests on the issue.
Monday`s meeting, chaired by party chief M Karunanidhi, was attended among others by his sons Union minister M K Alagiri and M K Stalin.
Karunanidhi had on Sunday sought to scotch speculation that the Executive would also discuss a possible cabinet reshuffle with its quota of two portfolios remaining vacant, saying it would not nominate anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi