Emotional tributes to heroes of Kargil conflict
Drass/ Kargil (JK): Tears rolled down the faces of family members of the fallen soldiers of Kargil war at the sight of memorials unveiled on Saturday for their loved ones who helped trounce the Pakistani army 10 years ago while colleagues and superiors paid emotional tributes to the heroes.
"Looking at the faces of the brave soldiers, kins of
martyrs and awardees, I wonder what these heroes are made
of?... They are examples of patriotism," former army chief V P
Malik, who commanded the force during the Kargil conflict,
said while dedicating a war memorial gallery in Drass named
after Paramvir Chakra awardee Capt Manoj Panday.
Captain Manoj Pandey was involved in recapturing
Khalobar ridgeline, one of the most dominant positions
captured by the Pakistani troops in Kargil sector.He died on
July 3, 1999 in this sector.
"He is my hero as well as the nation`s hero. I had
come here to pray at the place where my brother sacrificed his
life. This place is a temple for me," the captain`s brother
Manmohan Pandey, who was accompanied by his mother, said.
Kargil, a ghost town during the war, was today abuzz
with stories of valour and courage of Indian soldiers who took
part in `Operation Vijay` as their famillies descended here to
take part in two-day celebrations to mark the victory.
"It was a dream for us to visit the holy place and pray
for our son," Neiselie Kenguriise, father of Captain
Neikezhakuo Kenguriise who sacrificed his life when he led a
platoon to re-capture Tololing, said.
As they took a glimpse of Tololing ridgeline, tears
welled in the eyes of Neiselie, his wife Dinuo and daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered