Emotional tributes to heroes of Kargil conflict
Drass/ Kargil (JK): Tears rolled down the faces of family members of the fallen soldiers of Kargil war at the sight of memorials unveiled on Saturday for their loved ones who helped trounce the Pakistani army 10 years ago while colleagues and superiors paid emotional tributes to the heroes.
"Looking at the faces of the brave soldiers, kins of
martyrs and awardees, I wonder what these heroes are made
of?... They are examples of patriotism," former army chief V P
Malik, who commanded the force during the Kargil conflict,
said while dedicating a war memorial gallery in Drass named
after Paramvir Chakra awardee Capt Manoj Panday.
Captain Manoj Pandey was involved in recapturing
Khalobar ridgeline, one of the most dominant positions
captured by the Pakistani troops in Kargil sector.He died on
July 3, 1999 in this sector.
"He is my hero as well as the nation`s hero. I had
come here to pray at the place where my brother sacrificed his
life. This place is a temple for me," the captain`s brother
Manmohan Pandey, who was accompanied by his mother, said.
Kargil, a ghost town during the war, was today abuzz
with stories of valour and courage of Indian soldiers who took
part in `Operation Vijay` as their famillies descended here to
take part in two-day celebrations to mark the victory.
"It was a dream for us to visit the holy place and pray
for our son," Neiselie Kenguriise, father of Captain
Neikezhakuo Kenguriise who sacrificed his life when he led a
platoon to re-capture Tololing, said.
As they took a glimpse of Tololing ridgeline, tears
welled in the eyes of Neiselie, his wife Dinuo and daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official