Emotional tributes to heroes of Kargil conflict
Drass/ Kargil (JK): Tears rolled down the faces of family members of the fallen soldiers of Kargil war at the sight of memorials unveiled on Saturday for their loved ones who helped trounce the Pakistani army 10 years ago while colleagues and superiors paid emotional tributes to the heroes.
"Looking at the faces of the brave soldiers, kins of
martyrs and awardees, I wonder what these heroes are made
of?... They are examples of patriotism," former army chief V P
Malik, who commanded the force during the Kargil conflict,
said while dedicating a war memorial gallery in Drass named
after Paramvir Chakra awardee Capt Manoj Panday.
Captain Manoj Pandey was involved in recapturing
Khalobar ridgeline, one of the most dominant positions
captured by the Pakistani troops in Kargil sector.He died on
July 3, 1999 in this sector.
"He is my hero as well as the nation`s hero. I had
come here to pray at the place where my brother sacrificed his
life. This place is a temple for me," the captain`s brother
Manmohan Pandey, who was accompanied by his mother, said.
Kargil, a ghost town during the war, was today abuzz
with stories of valour and courage of Indian soldiers who took
part in `Operation Vijay` as their famillies descended here to
take part in two-day celebrations to mark the victory.
"It was a dream for us to visit the holy place and pray
for our son," Neiselie Kenguriise, father of Captain
Neikezhakuo Kenguriise who sacrificed his life when he led a
platoon to re-capture Tololing, said.
As they took a glimpse of Tololing ridgeline, tears
welled in the eyes of Neiselie, his wife Dinuo and daughter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know