Emphasis on laying roads along borders: Govt
New Delhi: A lot of emphasis is being given to speedy construction of quality roads along the borders with China and Pakistan, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Of the 61 roads on borders with China, work on 16 roads spanning 58 km has been completed by the Border Roads Organisation while work was in progress on 43 other roads, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said during Question Hour.
"We are taking all measures to speed up construction of roads," he said, pointing that the terrain and weather on Indian side was much more difficult than those on the Chinese side which has seen several roads being constructed during recent times.
"The terrain across the border is lot friendlier," he said adding calamities like earthquake in Sikkim and downpour in Ladakh had washed away lot of construction work.
Raju said the contractor, whose recently constructed bridge on a border road in Himachal Pradesh had collapsed, as been ordered to build the bridge afresh at his own cost.
He said the 45-mt single span Nauti Khud bridge on Dhami- Kingal road in Himachal Pradesh, constructed at a cost of Rs 2.48 crore, had collapsed due to "oversight in design" and "supervisory error".
"A Court of Inquiry into collapse of Nauti Khud Bridge has been held, disciplinary action against concerned officers initiated and contractor directed to construct the bridge afresh at his own risk and cost," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?