Encroachments: Urban Dev Min flayed for inaction
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry has faced flak from a Parliamentary Panel for its casual approach in removing encroachments on government land and reluctance to act against officials whose inaction resulted in these encroachments.
In its 21st report which was tabled in Parliament on Wednesday, the Standing Committee on Urban Development under the chairmanship of Sharad Yadav also sought the inclusion of more cities under the flagship scheme Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Rural Mission.
On the issue of encroachments, the panel said the task of handling unauthorised development and encroachment remained incomplete after enactment of `The Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2006 as the legislation remained effective only for an year and then lapsed in 2007.
"The Committee note with disgust that precious three- year period from 2007 to 2010, have lapsed without taking any concrete action to remove the encroachment of public places," the report said.
The panel said in 2010, an Act was passed by the National Capital Territory of Delhi and the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board was formed. But no attempt was taken to make erring officials accountable, it said.
"The Ministry did not find it fit to frame detailed guidelines and fixing responsibility on CPWD officials under the new law, but chose to reiterate the earlier guidelines issued in 2005. The Committee deprecates this casual approach of the government and expect it to take essential steps urgently," the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened