Encroachments: Urban Dev Min flayed for inaction
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry has faced flak from a Parliamentary Panel for its casual approach in removing encroachments on government land and reluctance to act against officials whose inaction resulted in these encroachments.
In its 21st report which was tabled in Parliament on Wednesday, the Standing Committee on Urban Development under the chairmanship of Sharad Yadav also sought the inclusion of more cities under the flagship scheme Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Rural Mission.
On the issue of encroachments, the panel said the task of handling unauthorised development and encroachment remained incomplete after enactment of `The Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2006 as the legislation remained effective only for an year and then lapsed in 2007.
"The Committee note with disgust that precious three- year period from 2007 to 2010, have lapsed without taking any concrete action to remove the encroachment of public places," the report said.
The panel said in 2010, an Act was passed by the National Capital Territory of Delhi and the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board was formed. But no attempt was taken to make erring officials accountable, it said.
"The Ministry did not find it fit to frame detailed guidelines and fixing responsibility on CPWD officials under the new law, but chose to reiterate the earlier guidelines issued in 2005. The Committee deprecates this casual approach of the government and expect it to take essential steps urgently," the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened