Encroachments: Urban Dev Min flayed for inaction
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry has faced flak from a Parliamentary Panel for its casual approach in removing encroachments on government land and reluctance to act against officials whose inaction resulted in these encroachments.
In its 21st report which was tabled in Parliament on Wednesday, the Standing Committee on Urban Development under the chairmanship of Sharad Yadav also sought the inclusion of more cities under the flagship scheme Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Rural Mission.
On the issue of encroachments, the panel said the task of handling unauthorised development and encroachment remained incomplete after enactment of `The Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Act, 2006 as the legislation remained effective only for an year and then lapsed in 2007.
"The Committee note with disgust that precious three- year period from 2007 to 2010, have lapsed without taking any concrete action to remove the encroachment of public places," the report said.
The panel said in 2010, an Act was passed by the National Capital Territory of Delhi and the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board was formed. But no attempt was taken to make erring officials accountable, it said.
"The Ministry did not find it fit to frame detailed guidelines and fixing responsibility on CPWD officials under the new law, but chose to reiterate the earlier guidelines issued in 2005. The Committee deprecates this casual approach of the government and expect it to take essential steps urgently," the panel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report