End of conflict an opportunity for Sri Lanka: Pranab
New Delhi: The end of conflict is a good opportunity for Sri Lanka to ensure national reconciliation, President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday told visiting Opposition Leader of the island nation.
Leader of Opposition in Sri Lankan Parliament Ranil Wickremesinghe called on Mukherjee here, a Rashtrapati Bhawan statement said.
"The President said India-Sri Lanka bilateral relationship is based on shared historical, cultural and ethnic ties as well as extensive people-to-people interaction. It has always been close and cordial. As a neighbour with thousands of years of close ties, India has a natural interest in Sri Lanka. People of India cannot remain untouched by developments in Sri Lanka.
"The President said India has always felt that the end of the conflict in Sri Lanka provided a unique opportunity to pursue lasting political settlement, acceptable to all communities. Sri Lanka must seize the opportunity for genuine national reconciliation and move ahead," the statement quoted him as telling the Sri Lankan leader.
Wickremesinghe warmly reciprocated the President`s words, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him