Engaging with Modi is not endorsement: Germany
Ahmedabad: German Ambassador to India Michael Steiner on Friday said that by ending the boycott of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his government, Germany was not endorsing anybody but giving respect to India`s democracy.
"This has nothing to do with an endorsement. I am a representative of a foreign country, like my European colleagues. We have to respect that India is a democracy with functioning institutions and we have to stay neutral, that is what we are doing," Steiner said here when asked if his three-day visit to Gujarat was an endorsement of Modi.
"You have heard in our speeches this -- we are not endorsing a politician," he said.
Asked if Germany would give visa to Modi if he became the Prime Minister, the Ambassador said "let`s not discuss hypothetical things but let`s discuss principled positions, our position -- the position of my country as well as partners in European Union -- is a position of respect for India.
"Respect for the institutions, for those who are elected, for those who are office-holders and of course we will respect any results the Indian voters will deliver early next year. If we do not do this, we would not honour our words -- India is the biggest democracy of the world with functioning institutions," Steiner said.
EU countries ended the boycott of Modi after Germany and other European Union states hosted a lunch for him in New Delhi when he won the elections in Gujarat last December for the third time.
EU countries had imposed a diplomatic boycott on Modi`s government after the 2002 riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen