Engaging with Modi is not endorsement: Germany
Ahmedabad: German Ambassador to India Michael Steiner on Friday said that by ending the boycott of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his government, Germany was not endorsing anybody but giving respect to India`s democracy.
"This has nothing to do with an endorsement. I am a representative of a foreign country, like my European colleagues. We have to respect that India is a democracy with functioning institutions and we have to stay neutral, that is what we are doing," Steiner said here when asked if his three-day visit to Gujarat was an endorsement of Modi.
"You have heard in our speeches this -- we are not endorsing a politician," he said.
Asked if Germany would give visa to Modi if he became the Prime Minister, the Ambassador said "let`s not discuss hypothetical things but let`s discuss principled positions, our position -- the position of my country as well as partners in European Union -- is a position of respect for India.
"Respect for the institutions, for those who are elected, for those who are office-holders and of course we will respect any results the Indian voters will deliver early next year. If we do not do this, we would not honour our words -- India is the biggest democracy of the world with functioning institutions," Steiner said.
EU countries ended the boycott of Modi after Germany and other European Union states hosted a lunch for him in New Delhi when he won the elections in Gujarat last December for the third time.
EU countries had imposed a diplomatic boycott on Modi`s government after the 2002 riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon