Engg student commits suicide, ragging alleged
Ghaziabad: A 19-year-old first year student
of an engineering college near here allegedly committed
suicide by jumping from the roof of the hostel and his family
suspected that it was a fallout of ragging.
Abhishek Sahai, hailing from Ranchi in Jharkhand,
apparently jumped from the roof of the hostel of S R M
Institute of Engineering and Management in Modi Nagar, 20 kms
from here, at around 9.30 pm Sunday night, police said.
He was rushed to Fortis Hospital in Noida where he died
Tuesday morning. His family has alleged that he was ragged by
seniors and the incident could be linked to that, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Rural) M M Beg said the
student`s family has alleged that he was ragged and the matter
is being probed from all angles.
Sahai`s family members said he had earlier sent an SMS to
one of his friends saying that he was being ragged. Sahai
joined the institute a week ago.
The college administration has denied that there was any
ragging and said he was under depression for the last two
Anil Verma, the PRO of the college, said he was alone on
the roof at that time and no one else was there, so the
question of ragging does not arise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Rio Olympics fallout: OP Jaisha alleges official apathy, AFI refutes charge
- Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin biggest positives in this series: Virat Kohli
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year