Engg student commits suicide, ragging alleged
Ghaziabad: A 19-year-old first year student
of an engineering college near here allegedly committed
suicide by jumping from the roof of the hostel and his family
suspected that it was a fallout of ragging.
Abhishek Sahai, hailing from Ranchi in Jharkhand,
apparently jumped from the roof of the hostel of S R M
Institute of Engineering and Management in Modi Nagar, 20 kms
from here, at around 9.30 pm Sunday night, police said.
He was rushed to Fortis Hospital in Noida where he died
Tuesday morning. His family has alleged that he was ragged by
seniors and the incident could be linked to that, police said.
Superintendent of Police (Rural) M M Beg said the
student`s family has alleged that he was ragged and the matter
is being probed from all angles.
Sahai`s family members said he had earlier sent an SMS to
one of his friends saying that he was being ragged. Sahai
joined the institute a week ago.
The college administration has denied that there was any
ragging and said he was under depression for the last two
Anil Verma, the PRO of the college, said he was alone on
the roof at that time and no one else was there, so the
question of ragging does not arise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Statue of Chandra Shekhar Azad vandalised in Haryana
- Fed up with heavy school bags, two students hold press meet to narrate woes - READ
- Have you seen Meher Malik's hot belly dance moves on 'Beat Pe Booty'? Watch now!
- Ravichandran Ashwin surpasses Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Kapil Dev in most 'Man of the Series' awards
- Nigerian Air Force says kills top Boko Haram militants, leader believed wounded