‘Enjoy rape’ shocker: CBI director Ranjit Sinha expresses regret, is that enough?
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: Facing flak from all quarters, CBI director Ranjit Sinha expressed regret for his remark that ‘rape should be enjoyed if it can’t be prevented’.
"I regret any hurt caused as same was unintended and inadvertent. I reiterate my deep sense of regard and respect for women and commitment to gender issues," Sinha said today. Sinha is a celebrated IPS officer who rose to become CBI chief.
Sinha had earlier said that his comments were taken out context but given the continued attack on him from the media and others; he expressed regret but stopped short of an apology.
At the conference on corruption held in Delhi, Sinha, while expressing his views on legalising betting in sports, said, "If you cannot enforce the ban on betting, it is like saying `if you can`t prevent rape, you enjoy it.”
The remark sparked massive outrage, with most people expressing shock on the insensitive portrayal of a heinous crime like rape from the director of India’s premier investigating agency that probes several high-profile cases.
While many gave him benefit of doubt as he had made the remark to bring home the point that it was better to legalise betting in sports if it can’t be fought effectively. However, the majority felt that using rape as an analogy for the same was in extremely bad taste as it may also mean that one should live with a crime and even enjoy it, if it can’t be prevented.
While top cop-turned-activist Kiran Bedi had asked for a public apology from Sinha for his irresponsible remarks, others like CPI (M)’s Brinda Karat and National Commission for Women (NCW) chief Mamta Sharma were unsparing in their condemnation and demanded strict action on him.
Karat said Sinha should be prosecuted for making such a comment and has no right to continue in office.
The National Commission for Women chairperson has also demanded Sinha’s resignation. The Comission has since issued a notice to Sinha and sought his response on the matter.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also lashed out at the CBI chief and asked if Sinha’s colleagues and family agreed with his view.
Others have also expressing their opinion on Sinha’s remarks. Some reactions on Twitter:
'That which we fail to stop,we must Legalize' ~ CBI director Ranjit Sinha
— Sir Sri Jhunjhunwala (@jhunjhunwala) November 13, 2013
CBI Director has rendered himself unfit to hold this office. Such an irresponsible and insensitive comment is simply inexcusable
— Kiran Mazumdar Shaw (@kiranshaw) November 13, 2013
#CBI Ranjit Sinha, if someone rapes you, I hope you can lay back and enjoy it as you seem to think women should.
— Sara (@Zarathustrian) November 13, 2013
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal