Enrollment of 40 cr people for UID numbers to begin
Bangalore: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) would start enrolling 40 crore people for issuance of Aadhaar numbers next month, its Chairman Nandan M Nilekani said on Saturday.
"We will restart enrollment of about 40 crore in April", he told reporters here in response to questions. "We will do (enrollment of) about two crore a month".
UIDAI has enrolled 20 crore people so far, of which 13.5 crore have already been issued Aadhaar numbers, while the process is on to clear the backlog vis-a-vis the remaining 6.5 crore people.
"To get an Aadhaar number, it requires each person`s biometric to be compared against all of them (others) to remove duplications. That requires lot of processing.
So that processing we do about 10 lakh a day. That`s why it takes some time to clear the back-log", Nilekani said.
"As of now (after enrolling 20 crore people), we have taken a break. We just want to check everything, all over processes, to make sure that whether we want to fine-tine something", he said. "I am very satisfied with the progress".
Nilekani said UIDAI has got necessary funds, noting that the Expenditure Finance Committee of the Finance Ministry has at its last sitting approved Rs 8,000 crore.
He said many applications are possible under the Aadhaar project, including in the fields of financial inclusion and public distribution reforms. "We have integrated Aadhaar with Aakash (low-cost tablet PC)", Nilekani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot