Enrollment of 40 cr people for UID numbers to begin
Bangalore: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) would start enrolling 40 crore people for issuance of Aadhaar numbers next month, its Chairman Nandan M Nilekani said on Saturday.
"We will restart enrollment of about 40 crore in April", he told reporters here in response to questions. "We will do (enrollment of) about two crore a month".
UIDAI has enrolled 20 crore people so far, of which 13.5 crore have already been issued Aadhaar numbers, while the process is on to clear the backlog vis-a-vis the remaining 6.5 crore people.
"To get an Aadhaar number, it requires each person`s biometric to be compared against all of them (others) to remove duplications. That requires lot of processing.
So that processing we do about 10 lakh a day. That`s why it takes some time to clear the back-log", Nilekani said.
"As of now (after enrolling 20 crore people), we have taken a break. We just want to check everything, all over processes, to make sure that whether we want to fine-tine something", he said. "I am very satisfied with the progress".
Nilekani said UIDAI has got necessary funds, noting that the Expenditure Finance Committee of the Finance Ministry has at its last sitting approved Rs 8,000 crore.
He said many applications are possible under the Aadhaar project, including in the fields of financial inclusion and public distribution reforms. "We have integrated Aadhaar with Aakash (low-cost tablet PC)", Nilekani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands