Enrollment of 40 cr people for UID numbers to begin
Bangalore: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) would start enrolling 40 crore people for issuance of Aadhaar numbers next month, its Chairman Nandan M Nilekani said on Saturday.
"We will restart enrollment of about 40 crore in April", he told reporters here in response to questions. "We will do (enrollment of) about two crore a month".
UIDAI has enrolled 20 crore people so far, of which 13.5 crore have already been issued Aadhaar numbers, while the process is on to clear the backlog vis-a-vis the remaining 6.5 crore people.
"To get an Aadhaar number, it requires each person`s biometric to be compared against all of them (others) to remove duplications. That requires lot of processing.
So that processing we do about 10 lakh a day. That`s why it takes some time to clear the back-log", Nilekani said.
"As of now (after enrolling 20 crore people), we have taken a break. We just want to check everything, all over processes, to make sure that whether we want to fine-tine something", he said. "I am very satisfied with the progress".
Nilekani said UIDAI has got necessary funds, noting that the Expenditure Finance Committee of the Finance Ministry has at its last sitting approved Rs 8,000 crore.
He said many applications are possible under the Aadhaar project, including in the fields of financial inclusion and public distribution reforms. "We have integrated Aadhaar with Aakash (low-cost tablet PC)", Nilekani said.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Bangladesh's ICC ODI ranking: How BCB president Nazmul Hassan created unnecessary confusion
- Five people killed after building collapses in Mumbai's Kamathipura
- Sonia, Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress gherao of Parliament on May 6
- Kesha legal battle: Singer releases her single post clash!
- Sushmita Sen is Farah Khan's 'best heroine'!