Enrollment of 40 cr people for UID numbers to begin
Bangalore: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) would start enrolling 40 crore people for issuance of Aadhaar numbers next month, its Chairman Nandan M Nilekani said on Saturday.
"We will restart enrollment of about 40 crore in April", he told reporters here in response to questions. "We will do (enrollment of) about two crore a month".
UIDAI has enrolled 20 crore people so far, of which 13.5 crore have already been issued Aadhaar numbers, while the process is on to clear the backlog vis-a-vis the remaining 6.5 crore people.
"To get an Aadhaar number, it requires each person`s biometric to be compared against all of them (others) to remove duplications. That requires lot of processing.
So that processing we do about 10 lakh a day. That`s why it takes some time to clear the back-log", Nilekani said.
"As of now (after enrolling 20 crore people), we have taken a break. We just want to check everything, all over processes, to make sure that whether we want to fine-tine something", he said. "I am very satisfied with the progress".
Nilekani said UIDAI has got necessary funds, noting that the Expenditure Finance Committee of the Finance Ministry has at its last sitting approved Rs 8,000 crore.
He said many applications are possible under the Aadhaar project, including in the fields of financial inclusion and public distribution reforms. "We have integrated Aadhaar with Aakash (low-cost tablet PC)", Nilekani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists