Enrollment of 40 cr people for UID numbers to begin
Bangalore: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) would start enrolling 40 crore people for issuance of Aadhaar numbers next month, its Chairman Nandan M Nilekani said on Saturday.
"We will restart enrollment of about 40 crore in April", he told reporters here in response to questions. "We will do (enrollment of) about two crore a month".
UIDAI has enrolled 20 crore people so far, of which 13.5 crore have already been issued Aadhaar numbers, while the process is on to clear the backlog vis-a-vis the remaining 6.5 crore people.
"To get an Aadhaar number, it requires each person`s biometric to be compared against all of them (others) to remove duplications. That requires lot of processing.
So that processing we do about 10 lakh a day. That`s why it takes some time to clear the back-log", Nilekani said.
"As of now (after enrolling 20 crore people), we have taken a break. We just want to check everything, all over processes, to make sure that whether we want to fine-tine something", he said. "I am very satisfied with the progress".
Nilekani said UIDAI has got necessary funds, noting that the Expenditure Finance Committee of the Finance Ministry has at its last sitting approved Rs 8,000 crore.
He said many applications are possible under the Aadhaar project, including in the fields of financial inclusion and public distribution reforms. "We have integrated Aadhaar with Aakash (low-cost tablet PC)", Nilekani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened