Enrolment for Aadhaar number is voluntary
New Delhi: Enrolment for obtaining Aadhaar number is voluntary and not mandatory, Minister of State for Planning Ashwani Kumar said on Thursday.
The minister told the Rajya Sabha that the unique identification number (Aadhaar) to be issued to all Indian citizens would be proof of identity, not citizenship.
Aadhaar number would be an officially valid document as proof of identity and address for opening bank accounts, obtaining mobile telephone connections and new cooking gas connections, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional