Enrolment for Aadhaar number is voluntary
New Delhi: Enrolment for obtaining Aadhaar number is voluntary and not mandatory, Minister of State for Planning Ashwani Kumar said on Thursday.
The minister told the Rajya Sabha that the unique identification number (Aadhaar) to be issued to all Indian citizens would be proof of identity, not citizenship.
Aadhaar number would be an officially valid document as proof of identity and address for opening bank accounts, obtaining mobile telephone connections and new cooking gas connections, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list