Ensure no place of worship in public places: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday asked
the Centre to ensure that no place of worship is constructed
in public places.
The apex court asked Solicitor General Gopal
Subramanium to file an affidavit in this regard within four
"The Solicitor General will file an affidavit to
ensure that no temple, church, mosque or gurudwara is
constructed on a public street or a public space," a Bench
comprising Justices Dalveer Bhandari and M K Sharma
The direction to the Centre came during the hearing of
the petition challenging the Gujarat High Court order of 2006
by which the authorities in Ahmedabad were directed to
demolish all illegal structures including places of worship on
The High Court order was later stayed by the apex
During the hearing, the Bench said as far as existing
religious institutions are concerned it can understand that
demolishing them will create law and order problem but the
Centre must ensure that no religious places comes up in future
in public places.
The Bench said even if a single institution is put up
on public place, the officers concerned would be suitably
Subramanium said that the Centre will have discussions
with all states and try to reach a consensus on this issue.
The Bench posted the matter for further hearing on
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark