Ensure safety of nuclear weapons, Army Chief tells Pak
Pune: The Chief of Army Staff, General
Deepak Kapoor, on Sunday said it was important to ensure that the
control of Pakistan`s nuclear weapons command did not go to
Reacting to media reports that the National Command
Authority there which controls the nuke button, has been
handed over to Pakistan Prime Minister Yusouf Raza Gilani,
General Kapoor said, "What is more important is to have proper
control over nuclear weapons and ensure that it does not go to
In an informal interaction with media on the sidelines of
National Defence Academy (NDA)` s passing out parade at
Khadakwasla, about 20 km from here, General Kapoor talked about
Referring to development of infrastructure by China in
Tibet, he said, "It is necessary that we also develop
infrastructure on our side" of the border.
The Army Chief, however, was quick to add that India had
"good relations" with China and there was a mechanism in place
to discuss the border dispute with that country.
"There is nothing to get worried about", he said.
On infiltration in Jammu and Kashmir, General Kapoor said
terrorists were likely to step up their activities before the
snow fall in the Valley.
"There has been peace and stability in the border state
for the last one and a half years. Some people do not like
it", he observed.
Referring to his recent visit to Israel, the Army Chief
said it was in connection with "certain ongoing issues" as
the two countries had a defence cooperation to combat
terrorism and share intelligence.
Earlier, General Kapoor who took salute at a smartly
turned out parade of NDA cadets, asked them to prepare
themselves for a modern warfare which would be complex and
multi-dimensional and driven by technology.
"Introduction of nuclear, biological and chemical
weapons have transformed modern warfare in its range and
tempo", he noted.
The President`s gold medal was awarded to Cadet Captain
M M Markale on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read