Entire judiciary can’t be brought to disrepute: CJ
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia on Saturday said the entire judicial system cannot be brought to disrepute because of few erring judges.
"We do not mind studied and fair criticism but attempt should not be made to generalise the wrong doings by few," Kapadia said on the occasion of the Law Day celebration here.
The CJI said anybody coming out with allegations against any member of the the judiciary should keep in mind that they have solid material to back it instead of painting everyone with the same brush.
"If you feel that a judge is corrupt then take a stand and name him in public and tell the Chief Justice instead of making a generalisation. But do not put all judges in one basket. Do not bring the entire judiciary in disrepute. Please do not dismantle the established system and institution unless and until you have something better to offer," he further said.
Kapadia stressed the need for uplifting the integrity, excellence and competence of the judiciary, saying this would enable them to maintain the confidence and trust of the people.
"People have faith in judges and because of the wisdom of judges they rely in judiciary," he said, adding the integrity of the judges is more important than the accountability.
"If judges are of integrity, they will not worry on accountability and the Judicial Accountability Bill," he said. He said judicial independence is the most important
aspect of the rule of the law and for that "we need public confidence and public trust".
The CJI said awareness of rights have gone up and the nature of litigations particularly the PILs have undergone complete change which required a careful handling as the consequences of the judicial orders have far reaching
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug