Enviornment Ministry clear Jindal Steel project in Orissa
New Delhi: Environment Ministry has
cleared the Jindal Steel and Power Ltd`s integrated steel
plant in Orissa with certain conditions involving mitigation
of pollution and earmarking 2 per cent of net profit towards
Congress MP Navin Jindal`s integrated steel plant at
Angul, which had hit the green hurdle, was cleared by the
Ministry after accepting the explanation given by the company
in response to its showcause notice issued on November 22,
Laying down the conditions, the Ministry on February
10 directed the company to earmark two per cent of its net
profit for Corporate Social Responsibilities. It also asked
the latter to take continuous monitoring of emissions and
display the data on its website.
The Ministry made it clear that the company will have
to inform it for necessary action in case the scope of the
In its conditions, the Ministry directed the company
to "install the coal gasification technology using non-coking
coal for the coke oven plant and adopt the dry quenching of
coke to conserve water and mitigate pollution."
According to the conditionalities laid down by the
Ministry, the fly ash generated from various activities is to
be used in cement and brick manufacturing as well as in back
filling of mined out area.
The Ministry, in its notice had given 15 days time to
the company to respond to as to why environmental clearance
for the 6 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) integrated steel
plant and 1000 MV captive power plant should not be revoked.
Personal hearing on the case was held on December 29
and later, the company also submitted additional documents,
based on which the Ministry did analysis of the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees