`Environment in India not a issue of lifestyle but livelihood`
New Delhi: Suggesting that there`s no
stopping for his green crusade, Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh today said unlike in many countries, environment in
India is not a lifestyle issue but a source of livelihood for
crores of people who are dependent on forests and rivers.
"We are not doing any obligation on anyone when we try to
save our mountains, forests and rivers. It is the issue of
daily livelihood of crores of people who are directly or
indirectly associated with the natural resources," he said at
a function here to mark the Ozone Day.
Ramesh also emphasised the need to protect the country`s
fragile eco-system which, he said, is not a lifestyle issue
but is the base of the society which is culturally and
historically associated with it.
Ramesh`s emphasis on protection of eco-system comes in a
bid to justify his actions to hold up various projects over
green norms, the recent one being Navi Mumbai airport and
Vedanta`s mining project for which he has been drawing flak
from some of his cabinet colleagues and corporate houses.
He said that development and environment conservation
were the two faces of the same coin and there is a need to do
a balancing act to achieve both.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Floods affect over 6 lakh in 14 Assam districts, toll rises to seven
- Congress lawmakers to quit if SC ruling on SYL canal goes against Punjab
- CPN (Maoist Centre) chairman Prachanda all set to become new Nepal PM
- Swachh Bharat, Skill India 'transformative' schemes: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video