Environment Ministry refuses nod to Karnataka power plant
New Delhi: The Environment Ministry has
rejected clearance given to a 450 MW power plant proposed in
Uttar Kannada district in Karnataka for giving "misleading
information" about its distance from the Cotigao Wildlife
The rejection came following a report submitted by a team
of the expert appraisal committee (EAC) members, which during
an inspection found that project proponent Ind-Bharath Ltd had
obtained environment nod by "concealing" factual information
in respect of various issues including the sanctuary location,
ministry officials said.
The proposed project in Hankon in Karwar taluk had
received environmental clearance subject to certain
conditions in June last year.
However, locals, including members of the Hankon fishing
community, had raised fears of loss of livelihood due to
environmental problems likely to be caused by its operation.
They claimed the plant was barely 3.5 km from Goa`s
southernmost wildlife sanctuary.
In fact, the residents there too filed two separate
appeals before National Environment Appellate Authority (NEAA)
against the project forcing the Environment Ministry to send a
team to verify the allegations.
The team said the project proponent has given "false
information" about the location of the wildlife sanctuary and
there was a contradiction between data furnished by the firm
and the actual position of various aspects.
The team found that the firm has concealed details on
"the location of discharge of cooling water, impact of intake
and outfall on the fisheries, presence of patches of dense
forest in and around the project site, including mangroves."
Taking serious note of the matter, the ministry not only
cancelled environment clearance but also the Coastal
Regulation Zone (CRZ) nod sanctioned to the company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release
- Separatist leaders in Kashmir join hands against colonies for Pandits
- Five reasons you should stop eating bread!
- Do you know who is Virat Kohli's first love? No, it's not Anushka Sharma!
- Bihar Board 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Biharboard.bih.nic.in & biharboard.ac.in BSEB Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Exam Results 2016 to be announced shortly