Espionage angle probed in Andaman Major`s role
New Delhi: Central security agencies are
looking into a large espionage angle in the case of a Major
posted in Andaman and Nicobar Islands from whose computer
sensitive files and information were allegedly passed on to
Pakistan, in which more Army personnel are likely to be in the
Official sources told reporters here that investigators
have found over 2,500 files in the Major`s computer, which
were not supposed to be in his possession.
"The officer could not have had access to all the
defence files. We are looking into who all might have given
him the files which could also have been in good faith,"
the sources said.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has started
questioning the Major once again since this morning with
regard to the files he had in his possession and is also
asking questions regarding how he came into possession of
these files and who had shared these with him.
Also, even when the computer was seized, some files were
deleted, they said, adding the entire matter needed a
"substantial level" of investigation.
"What is most disturbing was the fact that even when the
computer was kept in the custody of authorities some files
were deleted," a source said.
Meanwhile, officials at the Army headquarters said the
investigations into the episode was being jointly done by the
NIA and the military intelligence and the espionage angle has
not yet been established.
The officials said the probe was yet to be completed and
a final outcome would be known only when the investigation
report was submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?