Estranged wife of Indian diplomat wants to return
London: Paromita Verma, the estranged wife of former Indian diplomat in the Indian High Commission Anil Verma, has withdrawn her application from the British Home Ministry seeking permission to stay in the UK indefinitely on humanitarian grounds.
A British Home Office source said "Mrs Verma has withdrawn her application."
The application was yet to come up for consideration.
Paromita had moved the application after a fracas with her husband on a frivolous issue of a Christmas tree and in the fracas, Verma allegedly hit her after she punched him.
Following adverse publicity in a British newspaper, the FCO demanded that Verma be either stripped off his diplomatic immunity or be recalled.
The Indian government opted for the latter; and Verma left London on January 21.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), then, gave Paromita 31 days to depart from the UK. But she circumvented this notice by applying for extension of her stay to the Home
The Home Office`s position was, "The rules are that if an individual who is here as a diplomatic dependent submits a separate application, then they are allowed to remain here whilst that application is processed, and whilst any appeals take place."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step