EU reaches out to Nitish ahead of Lok Sabha polls
New Delhi: European Union on Friday reached out to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who is considered one of the important leaders from non-BJP opposition, ahead of next Lok Sabha polls.
The EU hosted a lunch for the JD(U) leader here. The Chief Minister was accompanied by party MP N K Singh, state minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary and Bihar Cultural Advisor and former Bhutan envoy Pawan Kumar Varma.
Diplomat-turned-author Varma, a 1976 batch IFS officer had taken voluntary retirement last year and is now working with Kumar.
The EU hosted the lunch for Kumar eight months after it had reached out to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in January, when German Ambassador Michael Steiner had played host.
27 countries are part of the European Union. It is learnt that Ambassadors of a number of these countries were present on the occasion to meet Kumar.
The EU`s lunch with Modi was kept a secret. This time also, it was a release by Bihar government`s Information Division that disclosed the news.
Kumar was here to attend a function of National Commission for Minorities, where he delivered the 6th annual NCM lecture on the topic "The Idea of India" becoming first Chief Minister to do so.
Kumar, whose party JD(U) snapped its 17-year-old ties with BJP protesting the elevation of Narendra Modi, is considered a prime ministerial probable by many, though the Bihar Chief Minister has repeatedly declined having nurturing any such dream.
In his lecture today at the NCM programme, which was also attended among others by Union Minority Affairs Minister K Rahman Khan, Kumar laid great emphasis on "communal harmony" and inclusive growth questioning "of what use is the claim to good governance if in its wake it creates communal barriers and divides society?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof