Eunuchs can indicate sex as `Other` in electoral rolls: EC
New Delhi: Eunuchs and transsexuals would
now be put in the column of `Other` in the electoral rolls if
they do not want to be described as male or female, the
Election Commission said on Thursday.
A decision to this effect has been taken by the EC
following representations from various individuals and
interest groups to include the eunuchs in the electoral rolls
with an independent identity.
"The Commission has duly considered the request and
has decided to allow eunuchs/transsexuals to indicate their
sex as `Other` where they do not want to be described as male
or female," the EC said in a press note.
Besides the electoral roll, the decision would apply
to all other Forms used by the EC wherein the provisions of
indication of sex of the user was made, including IT based
formats and website, it said.
Necessary instructions have been issued to all
Electoral Registration Officers through the Chief Electoral
Officers of all States and Union Territories to give effect to
the EC`s decision.
Enumerators and Booth Level Officers (BLOs) shall be
instructed to indicate the sex of eunuchs/ transsexuals as `O`
if they so desire, while undertaking any house-to-house
enumeration or verification of any application, the EC said.
So far, the eunuchs were registered in the electoral
rolls either as male or female, on the basis of the statement
made by the person concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family