European missiles for India’s Sukhois
Naples (Italy): European consortium MBDA has
offered their 300 km-range Taurus stand-off missile system to
the Indian Air Force (IAF) for its fighter jets such as the
"We have received a Request for Information (RFI) from
the IAF for a stand-off long range missile from the IAF and we
have offered the Taurus missiles as we feel that it meets all
the desired requirements," Anders Axebark, the business
development manager for the missile systems told a group of
Indian journalists here.
The Taurus air-to-ground missiles are manufactured by the
Germany-based Taurus Systems GmbH, which is a joint venture
between MBDA and Swedish defence major Saab.
MBDA is a missile manufacturing firm based in Italy,
Britain, France and Germany.
India is going to upgrade the first batch of its Sukhois
in collaboration with Russia and is looking to enhance the
capabilities of the aircraft by equipping it with new radars,
long-range weapons and avionics.
Axebark said the IAF has already been briefed by the
company at the Air Headquarters in New Delhi about the
operational advantages that the missile would provide.
"The German Air Force is also planning to carry out a
test-firing of the missile for the IAF in November at one of
the field-firing ranges in South Africa," he said.
Axebark said that his company has also briefed the DRDO
about the system and is looking for opportunities to
co-develop anti-ship, surface to surface and transport
aircraft-launched versions of the missile with the research
The Taurus GmbH is also offering the ground-launched
version to the Indian Army.
The company claimed that the missile system can be used
to take out hard targets such as bunkers and concrete shelters
from a stand-off range of 300 km and it can track its target
without using the GPS navigation system.
The MBDA has also offered its MICA and Meteor missiles to
the IAF and said that they can be integrated with various
types of aircraft operating in the IAF.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata