`Every destroyed home in Leh to be rebuilt`
Leh: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday
announced a Rs 125 crore relief package for the Leh
cloudburst victims and said all houses destroyed by the
natural calamity will be reconstructed within the next
Singh, who arrived here on a day-long visit to take stock
of relief and rehabilitation undertaken in the aftermath of
flash floods in this mountainous region, said that the relief
will be given from the Prime Minister`s National Relief Fund.
The Prime Minister said that houses destroyed in Leh
cloudburst will be rebuilt within the next two-and-a-half
months and funds will not be a problem.
"Hospital, school, electricity connections and roads will
be rebuilt and all rehabilitation works will be completed
within the next two-and-a-half months and before the onset of
winter. Funds will not be a problem," he said.
Singh said many lives have been lost during the tragedy
which is irreparable, but the Central and Jammu and Kashmir
governments will take all possible measures to help the
The Prime Minister said a monitoring committee under the
chairmanship of state Chief Secretary will be constituted to
ensure effective implementation of various schemes for the
"Before the onset of winter, I will again visit you and
inspect the houses that will be constructed for you," he said.
Singh also held a meeting with Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah and state officials to discuss the steps being taken
for the relief and rehabilitation measures.
The Prime Minister was accompanied by Union Health
Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Minister for New and Renewable
Energy Farooq Abdullah, and Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress
Committee chief Saifuddin Soz.
The Prime Minister had promised in his Independence Day
address that every possible effort would be made to provide
relief to those hit by the calamity.
Singh had earlier announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs
1 lakh each to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 each to
the seriously injured from the PM`s National Relief Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal