Every GOC between 2005-09 got flat in Adarsh: MoD tells HC
Mumbai: The Ministry of Defence on Thursday told
the Bombay High Court that high-ranking officers from the Army
and Navy were alloted flats in the scam-hit Adarsh Society
while the 31-storey building was coming up near vital defence
"Every General Officer Commanding in-charge (GOC, Army)
between 2004 and 2009 got a flat in the building," MOD`s
lawyer said during the hearing today.
The Court was hearing Adarsh`s petition pleading for
restoration of Occupation Certificate, and water and power
During the hearing, Additional Solicitor General Darius
Khambata, representing MOD, told the court that the high rise
in Colaba, South Mumbai could be a security hazard, because it
was located near vital Navy and Army installations.
An Army supply depot and an oil depot were within 200
metres of the building, he said.
Khambata said, "Adarsh has unrivalled view of surrounding
sea, shipping lanes...every flat in the Society has a direct
line of vision into the office of GOC. It is such a security
Senior advocate Janak Dwarkadas, Adarsh`s lawyer,
retorted why the GOCs could not see the building coming up
between 2005 and 2009, and should object only now.
Khambata said in reply that all five GOCs during this
period had got flats in Adarsh. "Its a shame," he said.
Over 40 former or defence officers are members of Adarsh
"We are living in a different world now and threat
perception had increased after November 26 terror attacks in
"We have paid the price (on November 26) for not being
security conscious...world has changed," Khambata said.
The High Court eventually refused to give any interim
relief to Adarsh, denying restoration of water and power
supply to the housing society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price