Every woman has a fundamental right to be safe: Sonia Gandhi
Jaipur: Opening the AICC session here after the two-day ‘Chintan Shivir’, Congress party president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday touched upon the issue of women safety in India and said that “Delhi gang-rape victim symbol of women who suffer from similar fates.’’
Speaking about the Delhi gang-rape case, she said that it had shocked the nation and that safety is a fundamental right of every woman.
Criticising certain remarks made after the Delhi gang-rape, she said "we cannot tolerate the shameful social mindsets that lead to unspeakable atrocities on women and children. In the last few weeks, some public figures have come out with truly shocking statements reflective of these completely unacceptable attitudes."
Gandhi said the UPA government has drafted laws for women empowerment like providing them protection against sexual harassment at workplace and providing them better representation in panchayats.
To ensure further development for women, she vouched for one third reservation for the fairer sex in the legislative bodies.
She also clearly told partymen that they should not indulge in nepotism and should show unity to face the challenge of elections which are 15 months away.
"I am sure if we make the right efforts with unity, there is no doubt in my mind why we will not get the mandate again," she said.
Gandhi made a strong pitch for electoral reforms and political funding saying people are getting disillusioned with the political process and there is a need to address the issue with sensitivity.
"We have to admit that people are getting disillusioned with the political process. We have to understand what the causes of this disillusionment are and we have to do away with this with sensitivity," Gandhi said striking an introspective note.
Accepting that corruption is the biggest modern Indian problem, she said that Congress has come out as a strong party to combat corruption with an efficient five point agenda. This agenda includes the introduction and passing of the ‘Lokpal Bill’, better allocation of natural resources, transparency in governance, and the Direct Cash Transfer Scheme (DBTS). The DBTS will eliminate corruption by middlemen.
"Let me reiterate that corruption at all levels is a deep-rooted malice and all sections of society are affected by it. As a party, we must lead struggle to combat its effect," she added.
In an apparent reference to the recent decisions including the hike in diesel price, Gandhi said government was forced to take "tough" decisions due to financial crisis which were affecting the people.
She was delighted that a lot of young leaders are participating in the meeting and this will help the party project young leadership.
She added that in last three days the Congress had tried to assess its own self.
Congress has tried to acknowledge its own strength so that it can come out with clear answers that why Congress is the best party.
According to her, Congress is exceptional as it has been following the footsteps of stalwarts like Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel and Bhimrao Ambedkar. Congress has produced leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajeev Gandhi who have had immense contribution towards the development of India.
Moreover under the leadership of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, several decisions have been taken to benefit the common man and cited legislations like the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, the Right to the Education Act and the proposed food security and land acquisition bills.
"Nowadays every party makes claims of development. This is a fact that development in itself is an election issue and its entire credit goes to the Congress system of functioning," she said referring to Narendra Modi and his claims of development.
Congress president concluded that unlike any other party congress came out as a party which ensured and will continue efforts in upholding a secular and peaceful nation. It will continuously fight poverty and social inequality.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow