Everybody has right to justice: Soni on Army Chief
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Tuesday said it was Army Chief Gen VK Singh`s right to move court seeking justice over his age dispute.
"Every human being has a right to seek justice if he feels he has been denied justice and in that sense it is (the) right of every Indian," Soni told reporters here, a day after Gen Singh took the government to court in the issue over his date of birth.
However, the minister refused a direct comment over the controversy, saying "if he has gone to the court, I am not a person to comment".
"I am afraid it`s very difficult to make it into an issue or controversy... The armed forces we have always dealt with high respect and high regard," she said.
Gen Singh, citing his birth records, says he was born in 1951 and is not due to retire until March 2013. But records at the defence ministry show he was born in 1950, which means he is due to retire in May this year. Gen Singh was appointed army chief in March 2010.
He moved the Supreme Court Monday after the ministry in December rejected his statutory complaint, requesting change of his year of birth in official records to 1951 from 1950.
This is the first time that a Chief of the 1.13-million-strong Army -- the world`s second largest -- has taken the government to court while still in service.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy