Everyone can protest, Mamata on CITU strike on fuel price hike
New Delhi: Sticking to her demand for a
roll back in fuel prices, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee
today appeared to have justified the Left-backed strike in
West Bengal against the hike.
"Everyone has a right to protest," she said when asked to
comment about the strike in West Bengal by CPI-M backed trade
"The hike in prices of petrol, diesel and kerosene has
overburdened the people...I am disturbed," she told reporters
and once again appealed to the Government to reconsider its
Banerjee said she has conveyed her displeasure to Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee, whom she met second time in as many
days. A day before the decision by the Empowered Group of
Ministers (EGoM) yesterday to hike the prices of petrol,
diesel, LPG and kerosene, Banerjee had met the Finance
Minister and expressed her reservations over the move.
The Minister said the rise in price of diesel will also
impact the Railways which will have to bear an additional
burden of Rs 460 crore to run its fleet of over 5000 diesel
Banerjee has made her unhappiness clear over the
government`s decision, saying her party did not support the
move to hike fuel prices and that was the reason she was not
present at the meeting of EGoM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened