Everyone should vote by conscience in Prez poll: Sangma
Lucknow: NDA backed Presidential candidate P A Sangma today said that presidential election were not held on party lines and every body has a right to vote according to their conscience.
"Today I have come to appeal to all MPs and MLAs. Presidential election are not held on the basis of political parties, it is above political party," Sangma told reporters.
He said that in presidential election a candidate is not of a political party.
"Pranab Mukherjee is not a Congress candidate. He has resigned from the party and is contesting as an independent. I am also an independent candidate," he said.
As per the constitution, presidential election are held through secret ballot and whip is not issued by any political party, Sangma said.
"If a whip is issued by any party it is not valid," he added.
"Everybody has a right to vote according to his conscience. In 1969, conscience voting took place in which V V Giri won. I appeal to everyone again," he said.
He said that a meeting of his legal team would be held in the evening at his residence which would be attended by Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy.
The Election Commission yesterday rejected the petition of Sangma`s camp against UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee`s nomination saying the same was not maintainable before it.
The Sangma camp had petitioned the EC against the decision of the Presidential poll Returning Officer of accepting the nomination papers of UPA candidate Mukherjee, despite their objections to the same on the ground that he allegedly occupied an office of profit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal